In this post I will tell you how to fix problem manually and how to clean it automatically using a special powerful removal tool.
You can download the removal program for free here:
What is ADF.LY?
ADF.LY is a browser hijacker!
A browser hijacker is a malware program that alters your computer’s browser settings and redirects you to websites that you had no intention of visiting.
ADF.LY browser hijacker may replace the existing home page, error page, or search page with its own.
How I got ADF.LY virus?
Well, it’s funny. Yesterday I teached my grandma how to avoid of infection by redirect-adware. And today I found the same thing at my PC! Well, not the same but similar. My browser began to redirect me at ADF.LY and showed me an ads. Of course it was not too long, because I started to fix it at once!
Sure, it was not to hard to me to fix that problem. But before the giving you manual, I will describe you what is it.
This is site redirector. It can has different names of sites: ADF.LY, or ADF.LY with additional line at the end. But anyway it is link to the same advertising site. It infects the shortcuts of your browsers too.
Will you remove it?
Also it creates the scheduled task to run itself. It uses every browsers that he finds at your system. So you can easily be reinfected by other software from advertising site.
That is why you have to remove it as soon as it possible. See below the simple instructions, how to do this. I recommend, as usual, use automatic method as it is easiest way.
How to remove ADF.LY redirect virus manually? (Virus removal guide)
- Head to the Start menu at the left bottom corner of your desktop and select Control Panel. Then select Uninstall a program. A list of software installed on the machine will appear.
- Find ADF.LY in the list of installed programs and uninstall it as any other program. Just select the program you want to uninstall and press button Uninstall.
- Open Task Manager and close all programs, which has name ADF.LY in their description. Check the directories where such programs start. Erase all of them too.
- Press Win+R, type in: services.msc and press OK. Disable services with ADF.LY in it’s name.
- After that press Win+R, type in: taskschd.msc and press OK. Delete tasks with ADF.LY in it’s name.
- Press Win+R, type in: regedit.exe and press OK. Find and delete all keys with ADF.LY in their names or content.
- After that, check shortcuts of your browsers if they have additional addresses at the end of command line. Check if shortcuts runs real browsers, not fakes. Remember: Chromium is fake browser, real name have to be Chrome.
- Check all plug-ins of all installed browsers: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc. if they have ADF.LY in their names or directory.
- After that, check settings of search and homepage of your browser. Reset them if needed.
- And at the end, clear your basket, temporal files, browser’s cache.
But if you miss any of these steps and only one part of virus remains – it will come back again immediately or after reboot.
So I know the better way to do the same thing without afraid of miss something.
How to easily remove ADF.LY virus? (Virus removal guide)
To remove ADF.LY redirect, follow these steps:
STEP 1: Install UnHackMe. (1 minute)
STEP 2: Scan for ADF.LY malware using UnHackMe. (1 minute)
STEP 3: Remove ADF.LY malware. (3 minutes)
STEP 4: (optional) Clear your basket and cache.
will complete all steps I wrote above by checking all items with it’s database in only 1 minute!
Also surely will find another malware too, not only ADF.LY redirect.
With manual deletion there can be some problems with erasing some opened files. Some processes can immediately be opened again. Often you can not have access rights to do some operations also.
ready to all this situations and will make hard work during reboot.
And that is not the end! If after erasing ADF.LY redirect some problems still exists, has manual mode to explore unwanted programs in list and fix them.
Just try to use from and follow this guide!
So let’s start now:
STEP 1: Install UnHackMe (1 minute).
Double click on UnHackMe.zip.
- Then you have to accept the license agreement.
- And later you have to choose destination to install and finish installation process.
STEP 2: Scan for ADF.LY malware using UnHackMe (1 minute).
- After that you have to run , and start scanning, you may use fast scan for only 1 minute. But if you have time – I recommend you to run Online Multi-Antivirus + Anti-malware scanning with VirusTotal – it will increase probability of detection not only ADF.LY redirect, but the other unwanted software too.
- After that the scanning process will begin.
STEP 3: Remove ADF.LY malware (3 minutes).
- By the way, shows you everything he found, not only absolutely bad, but suspected and even potentially good. Be careful! Not sure – skip it! But if it is marked as dangerous – trust it. It will be red. Check it and click Remove Checked.
- After that may ask you for confirmation and advise to close all browsers. Do it.
- In case you need to delete file or directory it is better to check “Use file safe deleting”. Yes, you will need to reboot, but this is best way.
- And after all you will see the results of your scanning and fixing process
So it was much easier to fix such problem automatically, wasn’t it? I fixed ADF.LY redirect in only 5 minutes! That is why I strongly advise you to use for remove ADF.LY redirect or other unwanted software, using this simple guide.
STEP 4: (optional) Clear your basket and cache.
- Well, at first clear your basket. It is very usual, but necessary operation.
Simply right click on your basket and choose “Clear”.
- After that you have to clear the cache of your browser. For example, if you use Mozilla Firefox as I do, just go to menu Tools and run Options.
Open Privacy tab and check option ‘Clear history when Firefox closes’
- Then click Settings at this screen and check options ‘Cookies’ and ‘Cache’ as shown at picture.
- After that click OK and close your browser’s pages. All information in cache will be removed.
So after all these steps you will have absolutely clean system without any trace of ADF.LY redirect virus. Start using right now to completely protect your PC from malware and unwanted programs!